We love pets - which is why we’re on a mission to make the world a better place for pets and their parents. We offer pet insurance policies with generous pet health benefits that are designed with their needs in mind. We’ve helped half a million pets stay happy and healthy since 2017 - and many more customers throughout the world are joining us every day. We’ve won numerous awards for our product, technology, customer service, and for being a great place to work. We have offices in the USA, UK, and Sweden - and we now employ over 500 people globally.
Our company is fast-moving, respectful, fun-loving and (most importantly) passionate about pets and their wellbeing. Throughout our business you'll meet people who think differently, aim for impact and love to try new things. Want to join our pack? Join us. Love every moment. Love ManyPets.
About the Opportunity
We launched ManyPets in America in 2021 and we’ve grown quickly – we now have a team of around 100 people distributed across Atlanta and New York. We’re looking to hire an experienced Financial Controller to help us shape the future of our business.
In this role you’ll be responsible for overseeing financial reporting and compliance with regulatory requirements for all our local entities. We’re looking for someone with a deep understanding of National Association of Insurance Commissioners (“NAIC”) statutory accounting principles and associated regulatory reporting. Ideally, you’ll have achieved your Certified Public Accountant (“CPA”) certification and have several years of experience in NAIC statutory accounting.
We can promise an exciting role with autonomy, plus the opportunity to work with a close-knit local team and global colleagues within the broader Finance community.
Finance and Regulatory
- Ensure compliance with US regulatory reporting requirements, including quarterly and annual filings on an underwriting year, calendar year, fiscal year, and US tax year basis.
- Coordinate with our parent company (Many Group Ltd) on accounting and finance issues related to the non-insurance US entities.
- Develop and implement internal controls to ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial reporting for all US entities.
- Manage and monitor all Statutory and GAAP ledgers, General Ledger accounts, and reporting systems.
- Monitor changes in U.S. regulatory requirements and ensure that the U.S. companies are compliant with all their respective regulations.
- Collaborate with other departments to analyze financial data and provide recommendations for business decisions.
- Liaise and coordinate with the external auditors for the Statutory and GAAP audits and actuarial opinions.
- Take a key role in our external audit processes and ensuring they are completed on time and with a proactive approach.
Leadership and Relationships
- Manage the outsourced accounting, tax and investment teams and ensure that all accounting functions are performed accurately and timely according to our service level agreements and policies.
- Provide guidance and support that encourages both personal commitment and a high-performing team culture.
- Proactively manage any underperformance and develop improvement plans as needed.
- Partner with the People team to recruit, onboard and embed talent within your team as we scale.
What Leads to Success
Here are some of the individual skills we know will enable you to succeed in this position. If you don’t tick every box - don't worry. We can support you in both your personal and professional development:
- You're the sort of person who is highly analytical and who enjoys translating complex ideas into something everyone can understand.
- You take the initiative without too much support. You're accountable for delivery in an environment that is ever changing - and where you set your own outcomes.
- You're an active listener with a human-centric, collaborative working style.
- Your team and colleagues know you as being a clear communicator, and someone can present persuasively and explain why something is important.
- You embrace a scale-up environment where a pragmatic, and sometimes ‘scrappy’, approach is required rather than a perfectionist approach to get things done.
- One of your biggest strengths is being able to work across multiple projects at the same time - and changing course quickly if necessary.
- You bring high accuracy, quality, and attention to detail everything you do.
What We’re Looking For
- You bring a several years of experience in NAIC statutory accounting, with a deep understanding of U.S. statutory regulatory reporting requirements.
- You've strong experience in Insurance accounting, ideally nationwide.
- You have an excellent understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial reporting.
- You’re adept with Microsoft Office (in particular, Excel) and you’re able to pick up new systems quickly.
- You're a compelling presenter with clear written and verbal communication. You'll know how to present and summarise information to diverse audiences to take them with you on the journey.
- Ideally, you'll have some experience of working in a scale-up or start-up business like ours. Things move quickly here, and it'll set you up for success if you've done this before.
- We'd love it if you had a relevant degree in Accounting or Finance, however we appreciate not everyone is able to pursue further education. Your life and commercial experience are just as valuable!
- Holding a CPA accreditation is preferred for this role
Inclusion at ManyPets
We believe diversity, belonging and inclusion are more than just words or things we should be 'seen' to be doing. Having diversity at the core of our business makes us stronger - and the responsibility for creating an inclusive workplace rests with all of us. If you'd like to read more about this, please download our Approach to Inclusion pack. We promise to give you the same opportunities as everyone else and we won’t discriminate against you at any point in the process. This includes how we source talent, our interview process, our conditions of employment (including pay) and feedback.
We work from home and our company offices in the UK, so we've created our "Making Work, Work" guide which explains it all. We offer a fantastic range of company benefits to suit everyone in a remote-first world, with a focus on supporting our physical and mental wellbeing.
On a typical day you’ll be working from a laptop with a screen, mouse, keyboard, and headset. You’ll be meeting your colleagues on Zoom and keeping in touch regularly via email and Slack too – we’d expect you to be using your computer for around seven hours a day. We’d ask that you have a distraction-free work area and a reliable internet connection with a speed of 25Mbps so you can work effectively. We’ll make sure you have the right home set-up that supports you in the role by providing best-in-class technology, money towards a desk, and vision support. We’re open to discussing any adjustments you may need too – we’ll be in touch before you join to discuss what you need to be at your best.
Reasonable Adjustments and Support
If you need any help, support or advice at any point during the hiring process please email our Inclusion team in complete confidence. Our Inclusion team are not the hiring managers for this role and they're here to make sure everyone has a fair and equitable experience when they're considering joining us. If you want to talk or ask any questions, we are here to listen (and we'll do what we can to flex our approach to a process that suits you.)
Connect With Us!
Global LinkedIn | Glassdoor | Indeed | FeeFo | Trustpilot | Crunchbase | YouTube Instagram | UK Facebook | Twitter | TikTok | USA Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Sweden Facebook | Instagram