We love pets - which is why we’re on a mission to make the world a better place for pets and their parents. We offer pet insurance policies with generous pet health benefits that are designed with their needs in mind. We’ve helped over half a million pets stay happy and healthy since 2017 - and many more customers throughout the world are joining us every day. We’ve won numerous awards, have offices in the USA, UK, and Sweden - and we now employ over 400 people globally.
Award-winning, innovative technology and exceptional customer service are at the heart of our offer: our “Complete” policy ranks top of the Which? cat and dog insurance Best Buy tables. (December 2021) We've also been voted the Pet Insurance Provider Of The Year in the Moneyfacts Consumer Awards (2021) - and we’ve received over 21,000 5-star Feefo reviews in the past 12 months.
We’re proud to be driving unprecedented change in insurance and have doubled our revenues annually for the last 4 years with more ambitious growth still to come. Our latest Series D funding round was $350m which values us at over $2bn.
Our company is fast-moving, respectful, fun-loving and (most importantly) passionate about pets and their wellbeing. We think big and we can only do that if we have a wonderful array of different people who are able to bring their whole selves to work every day. Throughout our business you'll meet people who think differently, aim for impact and love to try new things. Want to join our pack? Join us. Love every moment. Love ManyPets.
A quick message before you apply...
This opportunity is specifically for contractors who are based outside of the UK, Sweden and USA - we work in partnership with a company called Omar Codes, who help us resource for regions where we do not yet have a company presence. If you're interested in contractor positions and are based in any of our existing countries, please email us and we'll be in touch!
About The Opportunity
We're on an impressive journey to make the world a better place for pet-parents. We're expanding our Engineering, Product and Design ("EPD") team and looking to hire a Back End Engineer to support our global business. We have ambitious growth goals and as such, this role will be a pivotal part of our continued success as a crucial enabler for our growth in the UK, Sweden, the US and beyond.
As a Back End Engineer, you'll be one of our hands-on developers who uses deep technical skills, contributing to our codebase (and to the wider EDP team). You’ll shape, improve, and iterate our code and working practices, harnessing the power of SaaS APIs and Cloud services to create powerful solutions. You’ll work at speed and leverage your DevOps expertise and know-how across our global business.
- Be the technical authority for one or more key components of our systems infrastructure.
- Work with and guide less experienced developers to help them flourish and be more productive - delivering code to a high-quality.
- Work collaboratively with other developers to ensure your code fits in with the overall design and coding standards.
- Drive out detailed requirements where they don’t already exist, with the help of business users and analysts.
- Contribute to and influence the overall tech stack and new tech adoption.
- Contribute ideas and innovations, wherever you see opportunity for improvement.
- Work within and help to improve our self-organising squad model.
- Work collaboratively across the whole business, building relationships across all teams.
What Leads to Success
Here are some of the individual skills we know will enable you to succeed in this position. If you don’t tick every box - don't worry. We can support you in both your personal and professional development:
- Engineering is your heart and soul. You're the sort of person who needs to know that everything is organised, optimised, and humming along beautifully.
- You value diversity and are sensitive to different environments and cultures.
- You've got nose for problems: you have a sixth sense for Issues before they happen.
- Your colleagues say you're the sort of person who likes to move fast, pragmatically seeking problems and thinking about the wider impact to the business.
- You make changes happen by working well with others.
What We’re Looking For
- Previous commercial experience working as a hands-on engineer – you’ll be used to delivering production code to a large user base.
- You want to be part of a fast-paced, product centric environment. You will be comfortable working in small iterations, release multiple times a day and adjust direction based on results.
- You’ll have experience in leading and coaching others, both in person and remotely.
- Knowledge of relevant languages and tools:
- Extensive experience with Object-Orientated Programming
- Web Frameworks (Python Fast API, Flask or similar in other languages)
- NoSQL databases (MongoDB)
- Micro-services, REST and GraphQL APIs.
- Testing automation (Unit, Integration, BDD)
- Experience in cloud-based services (AWS, Azure, GCP)
Our back end is written in Python, and we are happy to consider equivalent experience with other languages. If you’ve not used Python before, we’ll give you the support you need to learn it when you join us.
Inclusion at ManyPets
We believe diversity, belonging and inclusion are more than just words or things we should be 'seen' to be doing. Having diversity at the core of our business makes us stronger - and the responsibility for creating an inclusive workplace rests with all of us. We believe Black Lives Matter and we want you to join a company that makes unbiased choices and is committed to being anti-racist. If you'd like to read more about this, please download our Approach to Inclusion pack.
We promise to give you the same opportunities as everyone else and we won’t discriminate against you at any point in the process. This includes how we source talent, our interview process, our conditions of employment (including pay) and feedback.
Everything changed overnight when the pandemic happened. Suddenly everything was different: whether we were in a home office, spare room, or makeshift desk: we were working on our own and dealing with Zoom calls, bad Wi-Fi, and a very different working day. We now work from home and our company office, so we've created our Making Work, Work guide, which explains it all.
We offer a fantastic range of company benefits to suit everyone in a remote-first world, with a focus on supporting our physical and mental wellbeing. Coupled with a generous holiday allowance and regular care packs, we’re always looking for new ways to look out for our people.
Our company values drive everything we do - and they are:
Show You Care | Do The Right Thing | Think Big | Work Together | Be Tenacious
Connect With Us!
LinkedIn | Instagram: UK USA Sweden| Facebook: UK USA Sweden | Twitter: UK USA | TikTok | Glassdoor | Indeed | FeeFo | Trustpilot | Crunchbase
Reasonable Adjustments and Support
If you need any help, support or advice at any point during the hiring process please email our Inclusion Council in complete confidence. Our Inclusion Council is a cross-functional group of people from our global business - and they are not the hiring managers for this role. We're here to make sure everyone has a fair and equitable experience when they're considering joining us. If you want to talk or ask any questions, we are here to listen (and we'll do what we can to flex our approach to a process that suits you.)